Monday, September 7, 2009

7Sept2009 - Day 32

Ever have one of those days that feels like it just whooped your butt from start to finish. Today, I am beyond emotionally drained. Last night, while reading "what to expect: the Toddler years" (side note: Only on the first chapter, and already have learned so much...like 13 month olds have horrible vision, with little to no depth perception and are extremely farsighted. 20/20 isn't achieved until age 10. wow. Also, I think Taylor has milk allergy. More on that later.) and while reading I had Dane Cook on in the background on Comedy Central. Hilarious. After him, Dave Chappelle came on. Even more hilarity ensuing. Needless to say, I didn't get to sleep until almost 1:30 in the morning. Bad idea when you have to get up at 7am. So, I awoke, as did Taylor. Drat! There goes the peaceful shower. Since I didn't have to wash my hair, I hurried and got ready anyway. She was really quiet, which meant no poopy diaper. We got up and got ready in the usual fashion, but there is very little food in the house due to our impending travel plans. I skipped her breakfast in favor of an early start to Darina's and mailing out Adam's packages. We arrived to Darina's and I rang the doorbell. No answer. We knocked. No answer. So, I called her. She was asleep. She was closed. She seemed really annoyed that I was there, but I didn't know she was closed. I know she's closed on holidays; but I didn't realize that Labor Day was one of those days. Also, on Friday, I said "see you monday!" and she said ok. Every other time she's been closed, she's reminded me. So, I guess I assumed she'd be open. Also, considering her forgetting about the dentist appointment not too long ago, I guess she's also a little stressed and forgetful with her husband deployed. Still, I was totally freaked out. I picked up today, and couldn't not go in. I admit, I cried. I was embarrassed, a little angry, and scared. I called Sabrina and she said that they could watch Taylor. I told her about the situation, and she said she'd meet me right away at the Starbucks and take Taylor for the day. Thank you, thank you good friends. Sigh. So lucky. Darina offered to watch Taylor until Sabrina arrived, but I just couldn't leave her there. I was humiliated, almost. I had one of those "I have to get out of here" reactions. I had to leave or I would start hyperventilating. So I met Delmo there, and he (almost cheerfully, despite being woken up to my crisis) took Taylor. He said not to cry anymore that early in the morning when I call, though, because he thought something had happened to Adam.
So, still shaken up, and mascara all over my face, I drive to work. I fixed my face before I went in, but I had taken extra care in my eye makeup today (with my newly acquired skills from practicing) so I was pissed that it wasn't quite how I wanted it to be. I knew today would be busy. Monday on a holiday weekend, the last holiday weekend before school. It's always busy as hell during the day, slower at night. Ghost town after dinner hour.
I get set up, and am ready. It wasn't a busy start, but fairly normal. I finish all the prep work for the day. Then it hits. It hits hard and doesn't stop. Then it gets worse. My bar was full. Then empty, then full. I had 3 couples getting up and sitting down at a time. Service bar was out of control. Mojitos, martinis, beer from the far side, taster sets (which means 7-5oz beers, from all over the bar. We have a huge bar, with over 40 beers on tap.) Kegs blowing, bottles empty, wine to be opened. Glasses and service tickets were piling up. I went down with the ship. I didn't crack; I even tried to keep a smile. But, I was sinking. Kim came back and did service for a bit. Charles did dishes. I am sure that, to my guest, I looked like I was cracked. My forced smile, the look of terror and sheer annoyance in my eyes. I'm sure it wasn't a pretty picture. Another thing about holidays. The people that go out on a holiday to a restaurant, or bar are never people that normally do it. They are high maintenance, have never been there before, have a ton of questions and aren't fun. In fact, mostly, on holidays (mother's day is the WORST) they are usually jerks. Today a man sat at the bar, and had one of those bluetooth headsets on. He was my first guest, so the bar was empty. He sat down, and so I greeted him with the usual question about starting a beer for him. He rudely said, "Just a minute." and put his hand up. Really?? How was I supposed to know he was on the phone??? There is NOTHING ruder than a person who is on the phone and sits down in a restaurant and tells the server/bartender to hold on while they finish their conversation. Especially in a rude manner. He could've easily finished his conversation before sitting at the bar. Or, he could have been more polite. He was my first guest. You can see how the day began.
On a high note, Shelby arrived an hour earlier than I thought she was going to. She came at 3, and just when I was really about to lose it. My help had vanished back into the restaurant, as the lunch rush was over. It was still a ridiculous service well day, and I was still unable to do anything but tread water. The bar was trashed, unstocked, and I was over it. Her arrival was the saving grace to reset everything, and collect myself. Still, it was busy enough that I ended up staying there until 5.
All in all, I made good money; but it was so hard that I dare say, it was almost not worth it. That extra money almost cost me my sanity!
The drive to Delmos wasn't bad. I stopped and got teriyaki chicken on the way, for myself and Taylor. Delmos are doing P90X which has a crazy diet and exercise plan. He is doing all the crazy cooking and recipes. They say the food is great. If only I had the time! Maybe when things settle down, I will get into something like that. They seem to really like it, even with the brutal workout routine. He'd gone to toys r us and gotten a little rocking horse on wheels that plays music, clipo blocks, a ring stack and a portable high chair to keep there. So cute. Taylor loves the horse. She gets on it and bounces up and down, as if she's really riding a horse. I remember them telling us to do that when I took lessons as a kid. (I'm telling you, she's sheer genius.) We ate, and it wasn't enough food! She was ravenous. I was ravenous. We finished the whole thing. We never do that. Not to mention, I'm not the biggest teriyaki fan. But, this was the best I've ever had. Random! Delmo gave her some lunch meat, and she happily ate most of it and proceeded to throw the rest on the floor- her usual M.O. Scruffy and Dash didn't mind, though. Despite Delmo's efforts to the contrary, I think Scruffy got a few bites.
Finally, we made our way home. I had to give her a bath, because it's been a few days. We made it a quick one, though. In lieu of a full 6oz of milk, I gave her half milk and half water. I think I will return to formula, which she tolerated really well. Lately, the past month or so; since she's been drinking milk exclusively instead of formula, she's had really loose poopy. (oh, I am such a mother. Sorry to the non-moms reading that are grossed out and probably equally amused that I am actually talking about her poop) Also, she sounds like a fat kid mouth breather when she breathes. It sounds like she's always phlegm-y. In the book, asthma like symptoms and diarrhea are signs of milk allergy. Apparently, it only occurs in 12% of 1-2 year olds, but I don't think all the dairy is working out for her. I don't know if the liquid poo is from milk, or too much juice/fruit. I do know that she didn't have these issues when I gave her formula, and so I will try that for awhile; especially considering the cruise. I don't want her to be uncomfortable there. She's also been fighting a wicked diaper rash, which seems to come when she poops. It's better now, but I still worry. I just don't know. Enough about her butt.
On the way to Delmo's house, I did notice that it was fall. Like, all of a sudden it was a new season. It wasn't summer any longer. I love the crispness. It was warm, but there was a crisp breeze. There was also a smell, like things were changing. It was positively beautiful. I love the in-between seasons. It's like, they signify change. They make you think about what lies ahead. Halloween, leaves falling off of the trees, thanksgiving, christmas. It builds a bit of anticipation, and excitement. There's a buzz in the air, like something is going on and we're all in on it. We can all appreciate the glorious perfect weather, even if it's just for one beautiful afternoon. There were also two rainbows (it'd been raining earlier in the day) on the way to Delmo's house. Two, one on top of the other. The top one was, by far and away, the best rainbow I've ever seen. They are pretty common out here, but that one today was the best.
It's almost like the weather was my savior today. The weather reminded me that work was over, Taylor was in safe hands, and fall is coming. Beautiful, crisp, refreshing, autumn. I just needed to stop and take a deep breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment