Tuesday, September 22, 2009

21Sept2009 - Day 45

Whomever said "be careful what you wish for" was obviously dead before it applied to my situation. However, if they were to still be alive, I'm sure they would say it again about my Monday. We woke up, I to Taylor in the playpen chatting me up, and Dash, and Sadie crowding me up in the bed. I must have slept well, because I didn't bring any dogs to bed. They somehow appeared during the night. You'd think a sixty pound lab clumsily falling into the bed would have woken me up. Alas, I may have had a few cocktails. That might have been the reason for my undisturbed slumber.
So, as I'd planned, I didn't shower; just freshened and brushed teeth. I fed Taylor some of her veggie sausages, made coffee, and oatmeal. The oatmeal sucked, but the gatorade was deliciously hydrating. Off to the Little Gym we went, and I had instructions to drive aggressively so that we'd be on time. I didn't really do too well on that, partly because I was a touch hungover and partly because I don't like to bob and weave with Taylor in the backseat.
We arrived just a minute or two late, and we got into the gym and the class began. Then it was over. Seriously. It flew by. Taylor was markedly disinterested in the group, and preferred to wander around and explore every square inch of the gym during all of the group time. It reminded me of how Sadie has to thoroughly explore the entire yard before finding a spot to pee. She did occasionally run upto a random classmate and they'd stand and stare at each other for a moment. Mostly, she wanted to walk. She loves to walk. If a 14 month old could have a passion, then hers would be walking. She'll do laps in any area she's in. Front door, by the couch, to the kitchen, back to the front door. Over and over, she'll lap. But, alas, she does also possess the excruciatingly short attention span of a one year old, so the laps- while intense and practiced very seriously, usually only last a few minutes. After the class, we went back to the Delmos. I gathered Sadie, and our belongings, ate a piece of pizza left over from last night, and off we went. I drove towards the house, or Darina's. If Taylor fell asleep, I'd take her home to nap. If not, I'd take her to Darina's house first. So, she fell asleep. To the house we went, and to the couch to finish her nap went Taylor upon our arrival. I went to change the time of my dentist appointment, as it will overlap with the Little Gym class and to make an appointment for her 12 month (oops!) checkup and shots. I called the dentist, and ended up having to reschedule for a month later. I feel ok about it though, because I am following the dentist's instructions. Then, I called for Taylor. They suggested today. Whoa!
Now, anyone who knows me knows that I already had a plan for today: after nap, drop the Mayter to Darina's, grocery shop, bring it home and put it away, shower, get Dana and Rylee's presents, mail Dana's present, get the wubba mayter, go to the mall for new Taylor shoes, then meet the Delmos and Rylee for dinner at Bjs. So, of course, I know how difficult it is to get an appointment in the first place. With a bit of trepidation, I accepted the offer. So, this meant waking up the mayter to go to Darina's right away. Off we went, after Sadie inspected the backyard for a few minutes. I dropped her at Darina's as quickly as I could, while still trying to inquire about her week and tell her about ours and Taylor's new achievements. Off I went to the px, purchasing cards, one of Dana's presents, and some magazines for Adam. Then, in a frenzy of an overawareness of the limited amount of time, I pulled next door to the commissary. $167 later, tons of fresh produce and the surprising find of a macaroni grill chicken piccata meal kit later...I left. I had a bag of ice in the trunk, cold and frozen items packed around it so that it could last throughout the doctor's appointment. I picked Taylor up, shockingly quickly as she had shoes on and was right by the front door when I arrived. We went to Madigan, only a five minute drive from Darina's house, but you must allow ten to fifteen minutes to park and walk to the hospital from your parking spot, a likely three and a half miles away. lol. I joke I joke! I kid I kid! We arrived a few minutes early, and I was starting to remember that I'd not eaten since ten that morning and had only had a slice of pizza. It was 2:45 or so by the time we were called, which was a relief because I was running out of Magic Distract a Baby Cheerios.
We met first with the medical student, who asked all the routine questions. She was weighed, length measured, head circumference taken. On the scales, she was 29% weight at 20.5lbs and 66% in height at 30.5 inches. Her head was about average, down from 90% during her ninth month check. So, I can't say I was surprised to hear that she was tall and thin. Just. Like. Her. Daddy. (so far anyway). Perhaps, he will offer her a bit of height. I've only ever wanted like two more inches in height, so I'll be thrilled if she gets that! All went well, and the doctor and student were quite impressed that Taylor had so many words in her arsenal. The low weight percentile was of no consequence or concern, because she eats like a horse, is extremely active, and isn't skinny or unhealthy. She'll just need to keep eating and not fall below the curve for her next checkup. The doc said that children don't settle into a pattern of growth that becomes their normal growth pattern until about 18 months.
After the pleasantries came the shots. We both received flu shots, and she also received her 12 month boosters. The nurse that administered them was, thankfully, extremely quick. Taylor was a trooper, and only cried a few minutes. It was over quickly, as the pain must have also been over quickly, because she walked out on her own two feet to the waiting room. I had planned on dropping her back at Darina's while I went home to get ready, because we live close, and picking her up would be on the way to the restaurant; but we were out of time to do all that maneuvering. I also was out of time for a shower. I went home, Taylor falling asleep in the car again, my stomach so empty and I so hungry I thought I would throw up. Still, no time for snacks. I put her in her crib upstairs while I got ready, took Sadie out again and off we went. I had to beat Rylee and the Delmos to the mall so I could get Rylee a gift card from the Gap and Auntie Anne's pretzels. (Her prego craving is pretzels.) As I was speeding around the mall, not 4 stores from the Gap, Rylee walks up to me. Bullocks! She later comfirmed what I'd suspected then, that my face did not look happy to see her. Needless to say, I only had the pretzel gift card. We went back to BJs and saw the Delmos pulling in. I thought of a plan b, and while the other women went into the restaurant, I convinced Delmo to get a gift card for me from Ann Taylor Loft. (Rylee and I had walked by, and she saw a lot in there that she liked.)
Our dinner was great, and everything worked out in the end. We had pizookies for desert, and then proceeded to Nordstrom's for shoes for Taylor because it was only 8pm when we were done. After trying on 4-5 pairs on a very squirmy baby girl, I settled on another pair of Saucony for $40 that were pink and white. Taylor, bless her heart, walked the entire mall. Until she was exhausted and ready for bed and Uncle Delmo carried her the rest of the way. They sat by the Comcast area, catching up on the results of the Colts game. (They won.)
We parted ways, came home and I watched House and an episode of Top Chef.
I truly love that I'm busy. I would like a day on the couch to do nothing, but there is no such thing. Taylor must still be cared for, Sadie and Simba must still be cared for. There is always de-cluttering to be done, always dishes or laundry to clean, vacuuming to be done. I think that I would be miserable like I was last time without all of this responsibility on my shoulders. During the week, when I'm working, and especially after a few weeks or a month of working and doing all this; it gets to me. It's too much. But, without it, all that I have is empty, lonely time. Thank goodness for season premier season. Thank goodness for classes, and appointments, and chores to be done. I need an oil change, for sure. I really should clean the bathrooms thoroughly soon. As in, more than lysol wiping everything. The summer is melting away, and before it's totally gone, I really should make sure we can take some late afternoon park jaunts, or a last couple trips to the dog park.
I really, and truly miss Adam. I don't feel as though I miss needing him. I feel as though I miss being with him. I miss his sense of humor. I miss things like last night. I opened the freezer, and glancing at the absolut bottle, I wondered aloud to Delmo what temperature alcohol would acutally freeze at. He said "alcohol doesn't freeze." ugh. Then Sabrina said the same thing without hearing our previous conversation. It would have been a big, awesome conversation between Adam and I. Best of all, he may have known the answer. I now know that it's something like -73 degrees. Not sure if that's celsius or not. Delmo looked it up, so it could be either. lol
I miss his smell. I miss his arms, the dimples in his butt, his walk, his total fascination and utter devotion to Taylor. I miss the warm furnace that slept next to me each night, stealing covers and warming me up even on the coldest of nights. Winter is coming. Perhaps an electric blanket?
Nothing is the same. I'll just have to look forward to keeping warm with him next winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment