Sunday, September 20, 2009

17Sept2009 - Day 42

Oh, one thing I forgot about Ketchikan. And possibly another reason why I like it so much. I bought two liters of Absolut vodka (one peach, the other vanilla) and yes, liters; not the 750ml size that is standard in the store...for $15.90. Not each. Total. They were $7.95 in the duty free liquor store. Try not to turn too green with envy over the pricing.
Today was Victoria, CA. Sort of. Something else I forgot. Last night was the second formal night. We got all dressed up, and Taylor even took her afternoon nap (which has been elusive since the cruise began). We had reservations in the formal restaurant, the Pinnacle Grill. Upon arrival, however, Taylor had a screaming fit because she wanted to walk around. I realized that it wasn't going to work, so I made the executive decision that we'd forego the fancy for the regular dining room. I was dissappointed, but knew I'd have to make some concessions when I boarded the ship, so it was ok. Susan was very upset and looked as though she was going to cry. So, we went to the dining room and actually had an incredible dinner together. The staff was all over her, and she was eating it all up. She loves the attention and was smiles and coos and flirts all the way. Daddy will truly have his job cut out for him when she is older. After dinner, (a dinner in which she polished off an entire slice of key lime pie, lime slice included) we met up with everyone just as they were also finishing. I left Taylor outside the restaurant with Susan and went to greet dad, who was speaking with the maitre d. He asked me if I'd like to go to dinner with him tomorrow night! It was so thoughtful. I was super exicted. He made us reservations, for just the two of us, in the Pinnacle Grill restaurant.
The dinner was extraordinary! I had a filet mignon. It had the perfect seared crust on the outside, and was cooked to a perfect medium rare. I couldn't have been happier. Plus, it was super great getting to spend quality time with dad.
We were late, due to weather and not being able to maintain the speed that the captain had hoped for, docking in Victoria and it left us with only 3 hours in port. Considering that the town is a 20 minute walk from the dock, or a cab ride away...we decided not to go ashore. It was a night time port, from 830 to 1130. Donna and I did go on shore, and through the border (in which we didn't need any ID or anything..just our room key to get back on the ship) and to the gift shop right by the border. We were really dissappointed; because Victoria is a really great city, and would have been fantastic for us all to visit. It was fun, though, to run across the border and back. When we came back, Susan and Dad and Donna went to the Crow's Nest to get us some drinks to drink on our balcony the last night of our cruise. Dad returned with a silver tray containing a jager bomb, and an espresso martini. Then the girls returned, and I went to get more espresso martinis to bring back to the room because they were truly delicious. I got to see the crow's nest bartenders one last time, which was great. They were the best on the ship, as far as service was concerned, and I was glad to be able to tell them au revoir and to thank them for making our cruise memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment