Saturday, September 26, 2009

26Sept2009 - Day 50

Ah, the joys of not getting up and going to work. For one, I don't have to wear all black. For two, I don't have to wear ugly shoes. For three, it was a beautiful freakin' day and I got to spend it with all my girls. Taylor, with me of course, Sabrina and I went to Rylee's craft fair thing. On the way I didn't know what to expect, and as we drove further into Graham (aka the middle of almost nowhere)(think rural suburb, where turning right onto the road the house was on led down an unpaved road...) we were a touch nervous and pondering which horror movie plot involving pitchforks and old trucks was going to come true. If you hear the song, run! (jeepers creepers...)
We arrived to a log cabin? (random, considering it wasn't in the mountains) with lots of little gazebo tents set up pawning their hand-crafted wares. It was great! There were twelve different vendors, some antique refinishing, some candles with no fire, a donut tent, another one where everything was french...you know writing it down makes it sound a lot weirder and suckier than it was. It was, in fact, great. I bought a beautiful ____ for Dana. (I know she reads this). I got Taylor a rocking chair that's just her size...ate some yummy fresh little mini donuts, and ordered a custom made apron (sounds crazy, but they're adorable!) for myself. Afterwards, I dropped Sabrina at home so she could go to work and Taylor and I went to Ikea. I wanted to look for a toy chest and small table and chairs for her. Darina has a set, and the kids eat there now. I thought she might enjoy it. We had a blast at Ikea, but she was a touch cranky. I really think she has a tummy bug. I didn't get any table or chairs, but I did find a play rug. It is exactly what I wanted, a little rug with a city scape on it and roads to drive little cars on. I got a runner for the dining room table, and a pillow for the couch since Simba has ruined all of the rest of the small ones.
Since we got a car playmat, and Taylor owns no cars, I thought it an appropriate time to go to Toys R Us. We went and she truly had a great time. I didn't take the stroller in, allowing her to guide me in the store instead. I did lead her a bit, because she tended to spend an awfully long time at the beginning of the store playing with a price tag hanging in front of halloween candy. She spent a ton of time at the "you and me" doll section. I would have bought one for her, but I was totally overwhelmed by the selection. If I'd gone by what she had an interest in, we'd have come out of the store with an african american doll. Her gravitation towards it made me ask myself if I would buy it. It seems that, as parents, people always encourage their child to get a doll that looks like them. Why is that? Wouldn't it be better for her to have dolls of all hair, skin and eye colors? I don't know the future implications of my doll choices for her as a young child, but I will definitely be reading up on what they might be. I really feel like I should get the doll that she wants, regardless of what it looks like. After the dolls, we went to the preschool section. She kept going to the "popper" thing that kids push and the balls pop inside and make noise. A few things about the popper. One, we have one. Two, I was extremely impressed by her ability to get the popper off of the small metal hook. She reached for it, and did it with such dexterity that I was truly taken aback.
After steering her from the popper, we explored all the preschool aisles and she busily littered each one with various stuffed animals before we saw the little wagon/stroller? Looking it up, it's the Step2 Ride Whisper Ride buggy in pink. It was great. I could push her around, and she enjoyed the ride around all the bicycles. I think I will get it for christmas. Instead, we opted for two of the balls in the big bins that you always want when you go to toys r us. The same balls that absolutely no child can walk by without taking one out...I also got two small, cushy and plastic cars for her mat. Lastly, we got a basketball net and ball for her age and it grows with her. She really enjoyed the one at the little gym, so I firgured it would be great for her at home.
After Ikea, we came home and her to bed shortly afterwards. Now it's tired mommy's turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment