Thursday, November 5, 2009

4Nov2009 - Day 89

While, yes, I was truly dissapointed about not being able to work; I did accept it for what it was and move on. I proceeded to try to enjoy my day off with Taylor. Caitlin covered my shift, so I was confident that everything was alright at work.
When Taylor woke up, her eye was swollen and glued shut. She looked absolutely awful. But, she had no clue. She was happy, her usual self. I grabbed a warm washcloth and applied it, with much resistance. It seemed to unglue the eye enough for it to open as wide as the swelling would allow; which wasn't very far. We changed the diaper, and went through our usual routine. I'd applied more gook to her eye; sort of. I worried all day about how much was actually getting into the eye. She seemed still in pain, so it was tough to get her to allow me to do it.
We lazed about for most of the morning, and I enjoyed some internet surfing. I quickly ran out of things to surf about, and prepared dinner in the slow cooker. Nichol and I were supposed to get together for dinner, but given the current situation, I didn't want to take Taylor out in public. I know it's shallow, and horrible; but I was as much worried about the silent judging at the sight of her swollen eye (looking like she was abused) as I was the contagiousness of the condition. I did have to run to Safeway to get sour cream for the stroganoff, so we did do that. By then, the swelling had subsided quite a bit; but the eye socket was still quite red. Almost as if it was some weird grocery store curse, I noticed a bit of gook in the other eye while we were in Safeway. I sighed. I guess I wasn't going back to work tomorrow. At home, I applied the medicine gook to both eyes, and hoped that catching it and treating it before it became horrible like the other eye would help. I'm no doctor, but I am convinced that she got something in the first eye, and that the condition was a result of that and then spread to the other eye and that was why (plus the lack of multiple eye washings and quick treatment) it wasn't as severe.
Nichol came, and dinner was great. Taylor still looked pretty bad, but she was feeling better. After she went to bed, Nichol and I proceeded to the couch with our wine glasses and the bottle of pinot grigio for refills. We talked for awhile, and she told me all about her Napa Valley trip; which sounded absolutely wonderful. During all of this, I tried to cover my shift. Dom ended up doing it, but I agreed that I would work his (gulp) Friday night if Darina would agree to sit Taylor. This way he wouldn't end up in overtime. Part of me scared (I've never worked a night shift), and part of me excited I went to bed shortly after Nichol left.

No comments:

Post a Comment