Sunday, November 1, 2009

31Oct2009 - Day 85

In an effort to curtail any further procrastination in my blogging, I've decided to just start now and then go back and fill in the missing days as I can. I don't want it to get to the point where I am like "eh, forget it." and not finish it for the rest of the year.
Ah, Halloween. This one was much different than any previous halloweens. This one had no plans of drunken debauchery, no outlandish costuming complete with phony spray-in haircolor. Nope, this was my first G rated Halloween. Well, PG if you count the fact that I did have a corona while out trick or treating. The day started out ordinarily enough. Taylor and I lazed about the house, random bits of cleaning and laundry thrown in for good measure. As is becoming the new tradition on the weekends, I made us a full breakfast. Butterscotch pancakes, today. We ate, we watched cartoons, we played, we read books. Then we napped. I thought about accomplishing things while she napped; but alas, I succumbed to the nap demons myself. Or angels, really. We slept for about two hours; although I swear it took me half of that to fall asleep.
Halloween night was packed with social activity for us. We went to Alicia's house for an hour for her party, then trick or treating with Amelia and a few other parents on base. Her husband is also in the Army, and she has a two year old. It was perfect for Taylor. We got them all ready, and loaded into the stroller. Off we went, to the new houses which were like triplexes. It was already almost seven, and getting dark; but we figured it was prime trick or treating time. I think we were a little late, because most houses were out of candy. Everyone who did have some was outside, sitting on their porch. Taylor loved it. She'd be out of the stroller, bounding, running up the front walk. Before I could even have her pumpkin trick or treat basket off of the hook on the stroller, she'd be up there with a bundle of other children. On occasion, we managed to get her to say "trick or treat", but it sounded more like "tee teet." (It was still adorable.) All in all, we probably hit 8-10 houses, and thankfully got a selection of candy other than chocolate. (I was, however, excited for the kit kats that we did get!) Afterwards, we went over to the Delmos to see all of Delmos decorations. He had a smoke machine, moving spiders, and groaning corpse things on ropes, along with spooky music and a strobe light. It was not for the faint of heart. He was darn near out of candy, and had made more than a few little girls cry. Taylor did great walking up the front walk until he turned the smoke on. I don't know if it was the hissing noise that it made, or the fact that it came sweeping over half of her body so quickly but she beelined for me, and tugged her way up into my arms. Her little grip was fierce, and she made it clear when I tried, that I was not to put her down until the smoke had cleared. We chuckled and made our way inside to eat a few bits of candy. In the kitchen, we somehow all ended up on the floor attempting to eat nerds. Somehow, under the eye of the video camera, Taylor figured out that it was hilarious to "push" mommy over. Of course she wasn't strong enough to, or even trying with much force; but she thought it was great to push me over, then help me back up. We did it over and over and over.
Surprisingly, it was ten and she was still awake; but the crankiness was creeping in...almost as fast as the smoke had over her little legs. We said our goodbyes and drove home. I was super nervous driving home, because it was a Saturday Halloween night. All the drunks would be out driving soon, so I wanted to hurry up and get home safely. We did, with her fast asleep before we even left the Delmos neighborhood.
Her sack of potatoes costume was definitely a hit all around, and I am proud of myself for thinking of it in the first place. I figured that this would be the last one I'd be able to choose a costume for her, so I wanted to do something funny.
I had a great time with her, and got a couple of pictures; I can't wait to do it again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment