Wednesday, November 18, 2009

18Nov2009 - Day 103

One of my favorite things about being a mommy is watching her discover the world. Every day, as she learns and discovers new things, I am reminded of how much there is for her to learn. I am reminded what it means to truly and thoroughly enjoy a cup of yogurt (sudu) so much that it ends up in your eyebrows, so much that you can't be discouraged from getting the last few bites out of the bottom of the yogurt cup just because you can't reach them with the spoon and take your entire four fingers and scoop them out. I rarely see the pure joy that is on her face when she eats yogurt on her or anyone's face. But, yogurt is her chocolate. Yogurt is her beer after a long day. Yogurt is her absolute favorite thing, ever. Yogurt, or sudu, rather, was the first word out of her mouth when she woke up. It's like she dreampt of it. Yogurt hums to her. I knew we were having yogurt for breakfast because she said it over and over until we came downstairs for breakfast.
She also found the stars for the first time last night. When we got out of the car, she looked up to the star filled (clear?weird!) sky and was mezmerized for a few minutes. It was very cool. Mom told me tonight that one day when I was a little tot, I had a yellow helium balloon and lost it outside. It floated up towards the sky. That night was a full moon, she said and when I saw it I just knew that it was my balloon up there in the sky. In a world where the whole world revolves around this little tiny person, that makes total sense.
As we walked out to the car today, there was a big gnarly caterpillar on the driveway. He was long, and smooth on top; like armor. He had yellow spots on the side and tons of legs. He looked exactly like the furry black and yellow ones I'd seen so often; but was smooth and hairless instead. I stopped and pointed it out to her. We gazed together as he hurried across the cement. I picked him up on the edge of some cardboard to put him in the grass. As I did so, he curled into a ball. I told her that he was scared. We dropped him safely in the grass, watched him uncurl and got into the car. We were both totally satisfied with the encounter until I talked to Dad and Susan today.
Susan said that dad was dying to know if I'd picked it up and put it in her hand. I have to admit that the thought didn't even cross my mind. I would never touch it with my own hands, let alone put it in hers. But, what a great way for her to feel his little soft legs crawling on her palm and tickling her skin. Would she be scared? Would she try to eat him? Would she laugh and giggle? I guess we'll have to wait until dad or Adam is around to actually touch the thing. It was way too big and scary for me. She never did try to touch him. She pointed, and then pointed closer; but never actually touched it. I'm with you kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment