Friday, December 11, 2009

10Dec2009 - Day 125

Still working on a lot of my presents, which I won't get into details about in here in case some of the recipients are reading the blog. I doubt it, but I wouldn't want to ruin their presents. Let's just say that every year seems to get more and more involved. Projects, christmas cards, pictures, wrapping all the crap I bought, shipping it (or packing it) across the country. Every year I swear off actual gifts and say I'll only get gift cards next year. But, I truly enjoy trying to find good gifts for people. I don't think I've ever been a good gift giver, so I'm trying really hard to become a giver. Perhaps, I've always been more of a taker? I don't really like that, and would rather be known as a giver. I really want to get things people like.
It all started one year with my gift for mom. It was a disney snow globe. I thought it was the cat's pajamas. I thought she'd love it, because when I'd lived with her she'd been obsessed over them. But, as she opened it, she looked as though she was going to cry. I could read the dissappointment in her eyes. Her eyes were crying out "She doesn't know me at all!" She never said anything, but I know she hated it. She hadn't been into those in years. Since that moment, I've never wanted to see that expression again. I was devastated. It was a horrible gift, and I never want to give a horrible gift again. Mostly, I was really upset at how it made her feel.
So, this year I've sort of agonized and tried to pay attention really closely to what people are saying that they want. And of course, who is the most difficult one? Who is the only one who doesn't want anything? Mom. But, I've got a great idea that I hope she truly loves. I know she hasn't grown out of this gift yet, and probably won't for some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment