Sunday, January 3, 2010

3Jan2010 - Day 149

The first post of the new year...ahhh. Finally, the holidays are over. I loved the idea of them as they approached, loathed them as I baked and wrapped and shopped until all hours of the night (depriving myself of some much needed sleep), and look back on them with...wait, no. No nostalgia yet. But I will say, I put all the boxes in the recycling bin tonight and I have to thank everyone who took the time to send packages to us. There were a ton of boxes. It was as though we'd just moved in. It means a lot to have a family that really puts so much thought and effort into helping us to have a great christmas.
Today, I feel like I am getting better. I relaxed with Taylor throughout the morning, and showered while she was napping (like a good little efficient mommy) and then off we went to Costco (which sounds uncannily like asshole when she says it), then the commissary, then back to Safeway to get the ingredients we were missing. Somehow, I still am without fresh mint and garbanzo flour (whatever the hell that is) for my recipes for this week's dinners. I am back on track with household organization, for the most part and have mapped out (and of course, already deviated from) the meals for the next two weeks. I'm devising systems that work, and just have to learn to make myself stick to them. I like knowing what I need to do for dinner. I stress out and end up making crap for dinner all the time, or bringing something home from work (so bad for me!) if I don't have a plan. I somehow managed to get almost all of the laundry done, all the recycling and trash out to the curb, and am currently enjoying a cocktail while watching Iron Chef America. This week all of my programs come back on, and I'm really looking forward to actually having something to watch. We totally took it easy this weekend, and it was great.
My next goal is to find out where all the great local meat and produce is (without having to go downtown to Seattle to the market) and then buy there. I know that Tacoma and Olympia have farmers' markets. The produce at the commissary is really quite lacking. For Adam's trip home, I'd like to do some really special meals.
I'm feeling great about settling back into our routine, although, I am sure that I will be worn out and ready for vacation by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment