Sunday, March 28, 2010

28March2010 2

I guess I was blogging after midnight last night, because I dated it today's date. Weird, because for the last week; I've been really confused about the date and can't seem to keep track of it. I'm pretty sure it's because it isn't important to me. I've determined that, for the most part, we remember what we want to remember, what we're interested in. I know that I've been preoccupied with losing weight, getting healthy; I've been obsessing about food. I really don't like the nutri system food. It's pretty gross. I have found myself starving all weekend. Plus, it has way too much fiber if you know what I mean.
I'm not going to renew the "subscription". I'll finish the two weeks, but I'm definitely supplementing with REAL food. The bars, desserts, and breakfast items are actually pretty good. Anything with chicken was gross, and obviously not fresh. Any kind of meat or dairy product (usually refrigerated) that can somehow sit on a shelf in a grocery store, unrefrigerated- freaks me out. It's just not normal. And I honestly feel wrong eating it. I feel like something is wrong, like I am going against what I really feel.
I've been doing a lot of thinking about the organic debate and whether or not it is healthier, whether or not it makes a difference. I really want to learn more and want to take Dana, Jeremy, and Lori to an organic farm when they come. I'd like for us all to learn more. I even found myself in the comissary today looking at the produce and trying to figure out where it was grown, and how. I noticed, for the first time, that the commissary lists the country where each produce item is grown. I did have trouble finding out where the organic stuff was grown though. I mean, not only is eating organic important to me, but I'd like to eat local as much as possible.
I've also learned that eating organic is next to impossible when you eat out. Very few, and even fewer kid friendly, organic restaurants (even here in overly eco-conscious Washington state) exist. Almost no one advertises grass fed beef. While a lot of chef-owned, higher end, kid unfriendly places do use local this and that or cage free eggs; there is really not a lot available for budget minded, environmentally and socially conscientious families.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not throwing out my leather shoes, or holding up a picket sign against or for anything. I just want more choices. The grocery stores are all on board with healthier eating, better and fresher choices. Why aren't the restaurants? I'm sure that the answer to that is really complicated. I'm sure that (please, try to bear with the conspiracy theorist inside of me) Applebee's is somehow in bed with ConAgra and/or the logistics of a national restaurant chain keeping its food consistent while using local ingredients are probably the barriers to creating the concept that I speak of; but someone out there should do it. Is it financially feasible? There are a million reasons why it probably hasn't been done; not least of all the fact that the economy is horrible and opening something right now wouldn't be the wisest idea.
Well, at least I can buy and cook what I want, for the most part. I can make a choice to buy natural foods. And, if I don't want to, I don't have to. But, I definitely won't be buying anymore Nutrisystem fettucini alfredo dry-pasta-and-seasonings-in-a-cup-just-add-water-and-it-tasted-more-like-noodle-soup-than-alfredo. That's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment