Saturday, March 27, 2010

27Mar2010

It's been awhile since I've been on; and I am super excited to be able to update the blog from the very comfortable sofa in my living room. My netbook has arrived, and I love it to pieces! P.S. It's pink. So now, I am free to update my blog while laying in bed, sipping coffee at (anywhere but Starbucks, yuck), or even while simultaneously enjoying a recently DVRed episode of Criminal Minds.
I've started going to the gym since the last blog. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I go with Amelia from work. I have actually started to really enjoy the elliptical machine. It's definitely a personal challenge each time I get on it- go five minutes longer, faster to burn more calories than last time, sweat a little more...I ordered Nutri System, and started it yesterday. It's, so far, not that bad. I can't say that it's the most delicious food that I've ever had; but it isn't horrendous. It's edible and that was all I was really looking for. It allows you to track your weight, food, and exercise for each day online, too. I like that. It prompted me to measure out the creamer that I usually use each morning in my coffee. Typically, I just pour it into freshly brewed coffee in my oversized 25 ounce cup. Yesterday, I measured it. 14 tablespoons later, I was shocked and disgusted and truly beginning to understand exactly why I am overweight. To be clear, that's 280 calories of coffee creamer. I immediately thought, I'd much rather eat those 280 calories. Or, not injest them at all. That is about how much I'd burned the day before on the elliptical. So I am basically exercising in order to drink my coffee every day. I love my coffee, but I also love the idea of loving my body. So, I resolved to cut my coffee intake in half and continue to measure the creamer.
I also realized that I am or was, totally unaware of what I was eating. It really got me thinking. A few crackers here, fnishing Taylor's macaroni and cheese there, a french fry or three while working, a slice of a pizza that was made incorrectly...it all adds up, and quickly. I like the nutri system because it forces me to know what I am eating and drinking. For instance, I am a professed lover of vodka and knowing now that vodka has seventy calories PER OUNCE really has enticed me not to drink any.
And that's saying something....

1 comment:

  1. What kind of creamer do you use? I use the International French Vanilla - sometimes Fat Free and sometimes Sugar Free. Cuts down on fat and calories, but still tastes good!

    ReplyDelete